Monday, May 4, 2009

Suit up.

My cold was nearly gone last week, but then it morphed into bronchitis. Lovely. Based off past experience being sick, and plugging my symptoms into web md, I was pretty sure it was bronchitis. I spent the whole weekend hacking and coughing (and probably scaring people at Costco Saturday afternoon and at church Sunday morning). This morning I called the OB's office to check and see if I should be concerned since I read online that pregnant women are at greater risk of coming down with pneumonia. They said I should come in and get checked out to make sure my lungs are clear of fluid, and to see if my illness is viral or bacterial.

In light of the swine flu scare, they were a bit cautious at the doctors office. Face masks were passed out in the parking garage to anyone with cold/flu/cough symptoms. I reluctantly took my mask and held it to my face only when I coughed. At the patient check-in desk, the receptionist asked that I put my mask on and leave it on. Geez, now I know what TB guy must have felt like! The looks people gave me in the waiting room...and when I had the urge to cough I had to cough, I couldn't supress it without holding my breath. When you're breathing for two, holding your breath doesn't work very well. I couldn't discretly cough either since the kind of cough I have is mostly dry, but the loud kind that sounds more like barking.

The doctor I saw was very nice (for a last minute appt I was not able to see my own OB). The doctor I saw said that right now their protocol for taking a throat culture involves them wearing a suit - full gown, gloves, face mask and goggles. She warned me so I wouldn't be surprised when she returned to the room in her suit. The swab hurt, she basically jammed a flexible tube with a q-tip end up my nose and down my throat. The doctor concurred that I likely have bronchitis, especially since I don't have any flu like symptoms (no fever, chills, body aches, headache, or tiredness). However, in light of the swine flu scare, they have to test my culture for the flu virus just in case. She reassured me that my illness should have no effect on M2, and she pulled out the portable doppler so we could take a listen at her heartbeat; still a strong 150 bpm.

On the elevator on the way out, a little girl looked up at my masked face and hid behind her mom. I tried to reassure them, "It's just a cold!" But they gave me the silent treatment.

1 comment:

  1. I wear a mask here all of the time since the air is not so great, and I keep thinking about the difference in "mask culture" between here and the states. I think it's great people feel free to wear one no matter the reason here and sad that back there, you're viewed as some sort of walking death sentence.

    I hope it clears up soon!

    ReplyDelete