Saturday, September 3, 2011

Hospital visit part four...

As the stress increases and circumstances change, my threshold for dealing with these things increases as well. Speaking of circumstances changing....Mr.P took another turn for the worse. Friday he was feeling terrible. He was hardly able to walk and after leaving his doctors appointment he threw up water in the parking lot (he hadn't eaten all morning, just had water). Later in the day he was in bed and I tried to get him to drink some pedilyte, but he wasn't able to keep that down either. I grew concerned and called his general practice doctor. They wanted me to bring him right in to the hospital, which took some convincing to get Mr.P to agree to go. I took him to a different hospital this time, the one that I have felt provided me the best care for my own medical emergencies, and the hospital that is under the same umbrella of care as his general practice doctor.

After hearing our story of what has been going on, the ER doctor was appalled that he wasn't admitted at the hospital we were at Thursday for the fluid drain. She said based on his symptoms and appearance, it was obvious he had some kind of serious infection. They admitted him and began the process of doing blood cultures to figure out the cause of the infection. The frustrating part is that the cultures take 36-48 hours to get results, so we won't know until Sunday what is going on. But in the meantime, they have him in the hospital under great care. I am frustrated that the other hospital didn't admit him otherwise we would already know what was causing the infection and he would be closer to being treated. I'm also frustrated that when we saw his surgeon on Friday morning for his followup appointment, the surgeon just brushed off his symptoms as now being a GI thing and referred us to a GI specialist (and even with the surgeon's office calling in the referral, the soonest appointment they had for him was late next week). At the surgeon's office they never took any vitals (blood pressure, temperature, etc) and had they done that they would have seen he was in poor shape.

Thankfully my mother-in-law is coming out tomorrow to help with the kids and stay for the week. I am so happy about this, she is really helpful and good with the kids. I have called in so many favors from friends and spent a fortune paying our two babysitters these past few weeks, it will be great to have some stable help in the coming days. Please keep praying for Mr.P to improve and recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment