Sunday, October 2, 2011

Holding back tears of joy.

Earlier this week I posted the FB status of "3 times this past week I've heard the song 'It Is Well' and that is just how I feel right now, it is well with my soul." It was an amazingly happy and freeing post to have after all the stress and uncertainty we have faced these past few months. For that month+ where we thought Mr.P had cancer, we were hesitant to make any kind of plans since we were not sure what would be going on, and then while he was very ill and in/out of the hospital I could hardly see past the day to day.

A few days after my FB status, I am still feeling a heart warming sense of joy and calm. Several times these past few days I have listened to the Chris Rice version of the hymn "It Is Well" and felt such a sense of peace, happiness and love wash over me listening to the beautiful hymn. We have so much to be thankful for - mainly Mr.P's health and healing. A sense of moving forward with our lives. A sense of happiness and calm watching our children laugh, grow and thrive. As cheesy as it sounds, we are all in such a happy place.

Marriage is a funny thing - it takes work. It waxes and wanes like the moon. It is the happiest, most frustrating and most complicated relationship one can have. But there are glimpses of pure joy and love that come out of it that make all the other times worth it. Mr.P and I are not perfect, nor is our marriage. But we are working on it. Tonight we attended a reunion of the couples who attended the "Marriage Retreat" that our church sponsored last year. It was a great time to chat with other couples (pretty much all of whom we know from our church) and to have some time to reflect on what we've applied from that retreat. Afterwards Mr.P and I had a great date out together at a little neighborhood bar/restaurant. We walked home hand in hand, as if we were a newly dating couple. After more than 5 years together, I think we're going to make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment