Friday, February 12, 2010

Postcard from PhinneyGirl's dairy farm...

For the past week or so I've been taking fenugreek supplements to try and boost up my milk supply. I think it's working! I've been getting an ounce to two ounces more per pumping session, which means 3-6 extra ounces per day while still only pumping 3 times. I've only had to give M2 a bottle of formula 3 times this week due to my extra milkage. I'm going to add a daily dose of fenugreek (was taking it twice a day, now I'll do 3 times a day) and see if that continues to help.

Yesterday I picked up M2 from daycare just before 6 PM. Her daily feedback sheet showed she had last eaten at 3:30 PM, so I was thinking she would be getting hungry soon. We made a quick trip to Costco and to the toy store (to pick up a Sophie la Girafe for her cousin we're visiting this weekend), then we headed to a friends house for dinner. Since we started her on solids, we usually feed her a jar of baby food in the evening, then I breastfeed her afterwards. As soon as we got to the friends house, I fed her a 4 oz jar of baby carrots, and then attempted to feed her a bottle of pumped milk (it was fajita night...mama wanted to drink Corona with her meal).

She would suck for 5 seconds, then grab the bottle and pull it out of her mouth. Over the next two hours I occassionally tried to get her to eat the bottle, but she was not wanting to eat. We got home around 10 PM and I tried again to get her to eat and she still refused. I put her to bed, sighed, and thought for sure she would wake me up at 2 am to eat. Nope, she didn't get up to eat until after 8 AM today! Shocking. I guess her growth spurt eating binge from a few days ago has cooled down. I hate to worry, I know that some days babies will be hungrier than other days, but I couldn't help but feel a little concerned that she hardly had any milk from 3:30 yesterday until 8 this morning. We're about a week in of her sleeping through the night....fingers crossed that she will keep it up. I must say, it is quite awesome. I have missed sleeping, though my body is still whacked out from months of poor sleep. I still tend to wake up a few times per night, but most of the time I can fall back to sleep pretty quickly.

One sort of funny thing that happened early this morning...around 6 AM I awoke to this loud high pitch screaching sound from M2's room. I bolted into her room expecting to find her strangled by her blankets or stuck between the bars of her crib. Nope, she was still swaddled and peacefully sleeping in the middle of her crib. I heard the sound again, but it was coming from just outside her window. I pulled back the curtain and saw a cat fight going on! I went outside and chased the cats away, then crawled back in bed. Mr.P was laying there laughing at me when I came back to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment