Thursday, January 21, 2010

Dr. McCreepy.

We're back! Actually, we never went anywhere. Just busy trying to keep up with the day to day.

Last weekend for the long weekend we went over to Boise to visit family. We returned home Monday evening, and Tuesday we were back to the grind. At least I thought we were. Around noon the daycare called to let me know that M2 was really struggling. She had been there for about 3 hours, and during that time she was crying. Nonstop crying. She refused to sleep or even eat. This was worrisome to both her daycare teacher and me since it was totally unlike her to A) cry for hours on end (she stopped doing that a few months ago) and B) she rarely refuses to eat.

I left work right away and went to pick her up. When I walked in the front door of the daycare, I recognized the pathetic muffled little coughing cry of my sweet M2 in the infant room. As soon as I walked in and she saw me, she gave me a big smile. It's one of the best things about being a mom - having your child recognize your face and give you a big happy smile. She was wrapped up in her blanket in one of the caregivers arms, and right away I plopped her in her car seat and off we went. On the way home I called the pediatricians office because I was concerned she may be having some ear trouble (I assumed there had to be a reason for the crying, right?) We had taken her swimming for the first time this weekend, and she had been on an airplane, so I wondered if either of those things had upset her inner ears.

The pediatricians office recommended we come in so they could take a quick look in her ear. Unfortunately, at the last minute on that day her regular pediatrician was unavailable. The nurse noted that they have a new doctor there, Dr. Bill, strictly for triage/emergency appointments and that he would be able to see M2. I set up a time for later in the afternoon and took little M2 home for some playtime and a nap.

Later on we arrived at the pediatricians office for our 4 PM appointment. By 4:30 I was getting super annoyed that they had yet to call us back. Granted I know we were there for a last minute appointment, but we still had a time supposedly reserved for us. Anyway, I am just an impatient person. Finally at 4:45, we get called back. Dr. Bill seemed nice enough upon meeting him, and he got right down to business. While I was sitting and holding M2 on my lap, he scooted his stool over and began peeking in her ears. I know he was trying to examine her and she was on my lap, but I was a little uncomfortable with how he was totally in my business...his knees were pressed up into my legs, and his face was right up by my chest. I kind of inched away from him and pushed M2 a little further out on my knee to distance myself.

A minute later he was done and determined that he ears were fine, she just had a little cold. While he was writing in her chart I asked a question about her vaccines from her 4 month check up. I had noticed when we got home that the box was checked on the form indicating that she had received the Hep B shot. I wasn't planning on having her do that series now, and I was very vocal about it at birth and at her 2 month check up. Dr. Bill checked her chart and said that oops, it looks like at her 4 month check up she received the Hep B shot. I then explained she wasn't supposed to get it and asked what we should do now. He asked me why I opted out of that vaccine series, and I explained that I didn't feel it was necessary. I didn't get the Hep B series until I was in college, and I don't think she is at risk for exposure. He then went on to say that Hep B is a disease that people get from being "naughty." Yes, he used the word "naughty." I'm not sure why, but that word really bugs me. And coming from Dr. Bill's mouth, it sounded especially dirty. He laughed and said that unless little M2 is never naughty, she won't need the vaccine. I did not laugh with him, it just sounded so creepy the way he said it.

So yeah, I guess now that she's had the one shot in the series I might as well finish out the series, though it's not because I think my baby is going to be "naughty." Also, if she ever needs an emergency appointment again I am going to make sure she does NOT see Dr. Bill, aka, Dr. McCreepy.

1 comment:

  1. I would have smacked that doctor for his Hep B comment because that is a terrible misconception. There's a higher rate of it over here simply because of how people share food. I hate when people simply view it as some kind of an STD. Definitely an appropriate nickname for that doctor.

    ReplyDelete