Today I am officially 24 weeks along...and in pregnancy terms, that is considered the Viability date, or V day.
What that means now is that if for some reason I were to go into pre-term labor or have a complication come up, the hospital would do everything they could to save the baby. Having a baby at 24 weeks is still very early and risky, but the survival rate is better than 50% for babies born this early (and research shows that caucasian females have the highest premature survival rate). Many hospitals do not attempt to revive babies born before 24 weeks because they are just too small and underdeveloped.
I'm almost into the 3rd trimester! It seems like the first trimester went by so slowly (and I was so nervous those first few months) but the second trimester has flown by. I'm definitely showing more now, though I still feel like I'm kind of in the "fat" stage where I look bigger, but not necessarily obviously pregnant. This can be a good and bad thing...good that since I'm taller with wide hips I have a lot of room for the baby which may help me from getting too ginormous as the pregnancy goes on, bad because I don't have a "cute" baby bump.
I'm not sure when little M2 will make her arrival...hopefully no complications will arise leading to her coming really early, but I am also hoping that she doesn't decide to extend her stay in the womb and come late (many first babies are known to come late). Mr.P likes to point out that if she truly is her father's daughter, she will want to stay put as long as possible since it's a warm cozy space with free food :-) Personally, I would prefer she join us just after 37 weeks. She'll be full term, and her lungs should be fully developed by then.
No comments:
Post a Comment