I think one of the worst things about being a mom is that when mom is sick, there is no calling in sick. You just have to deal. Being sick sucks, and being sick with two little ones to care for really sucks.
I've had a few colds this winter, but those were nothing compared to the flu I got hit with this past week. On Wednesday evening at my cake decorating class I was feeling really tired and had a slight sore throat coming on, but I didn't think anything of it. Thursday morning I woke up with full blown flu symptoms. I was in disbelief - how could I have the flu since I had the flu shot? But knowing that it is what it is, I called my doctor ASAP. I got in to the doctor later that morning and she said it was kind of a stroke of bad luck in that I had my flu shot very early in the season because of my pregnancy, and the flu hit later than usual this year so people who had their shot early in the season may not be as protected. I started up Tamiflu that day, and actually on Thursday I wasn't feeling too terrible until that evening. I started getting bad chills and took my temp - 103! I never get fevers, so that was really unusual for me. Between Thursday night and Saturday night my fever jumped around a lot between 99.9 and 103.6. It was miserable.
This morning I woke up really early drenched in sweat, but relieved to find my temp had dropped back down to 99.1. P5's baptism was scheduled for today and I was feeling much better this morning so off to church we went. Towards the end of the service I was feeling that sweaty chilled feeling again, and by the time we got home my hair and sweater were soaked. I took my temp expecting to see that my fever had spiked again, but nope, it was down to 95.4! Crazy to have a body temp change of 9 degrees in less than 24 hours. I'm taking it easy now, hoping to be back to normal soon.
It's been hard on the kids having mom sick. As fun as dad is, there is no substitute for mom.
No comments:
Post a Comment