Tuesday, November 10, 2009

I'm still here, just been busy...

Sorry for the long delay in posting...

M2 is doing great! As I mentioned before, her reflux is much better with the Prevacid medicine. She is still a pretty fussy/needy baby, but nowhere near as miserable as she was prior to being on the correct medicine for her reflux.

One thing about babies...as soon as you have a "solution" figured out to how to calm them, it no longer works. M2 keeps me on my toes, and I am constantly learning from her. She has become more interactive in the past month and I just love her even more. She smiles, coos, and wiggles out of excitement to see me. How awesome is that? She's gotten so big too. I was sorting her clothes recently and had to "retire" her newborn sized clothes. She is now easily fitting into some 3-6 month size stuff. How did she get so big?!

At her 2 month check up at the pediatricians office, she was 10 lbs 9 oz, in the 50th percentile. For height she was 24.5 inches, in the 97th percentile! She is a long skinny baby. We expected a "tall" baby since I am 5'9 and Mr.P is 6'4. Given her struggle with feeding early on, and with reflux, I am happy for her to be at the 50th percentile for weight. There was one week in there during her reflux struggle where she only gained 1 ounce, so having her be at the 50th percentile isn't bad (reflux babies are at high risk for failure to thrive).

In all this, I have become the breastfeeding nazi. I have read further about breastfeeding and it's benefits, and it only makes me all that more proud and happy I stuck with it. Especially since M2 is a reflux baby, breastmilk is actually best for a baby suffering severe reflux since it is less acidic and easier/faster to digest. I have read so many horrible things about formula and it makes me angry about the agressive ad campaigns that formula companies have. I do understand there are some reasons mothers choose not to breastfeed such as medical issues or multiple babies...but really, when it comes down to it, breastmilk is best. If someone personally CHOOSES not to breastfeed because they initially find it hard/annoying/painful, well, really I find that selfish. Breastfeeding is hard. It takes time to get it down for both mom and baby to be comfortable with it. The first 2 months of breastfeeding were the hardest months of my life, but I am so glad I stuck with it. I am so proud of the fact that M2 has only had breastmilk.

Otherwise, we are plugging along. M2 started daycare this week, as I am returning to work next week. So far things are going better than I expected. More on that in my next blog...hopefully later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment