Wednesday, March 18, 2009

A few random thoughts for the day...

I haven't had much of anything substantial to write about this week...unless you want to hear about round ligament pain (basically part of the process of my ute growing bigger). It comes and goes, and occasionally feels like I've been tased in the crotch for a second or so. Sometimes it is an isolated zap, other times it will be on and off for an hour or two. Lovely. The first time it happened I was driving and I think I jumped a little in my seat from the shock and pain. I did some online research and found some references to it being round ligament pain, aka, lightning crotch.

I read an article today in the Seattle Times about the "baby boomlette" in the US. One statistic that caught my eye said that in 2007 over 40% of babies were born to unwed mothers. I found that number to be really high. If I had been asked to guesstimate, I would've said something like 15-20% of babies these days are born out of wedlock. I noticed on both our hospital tours that the guides never said "husband" they always said "partner" or "coach." At the time I thought it seemed overly sensitive to not say "husband" since I assumed the majority of birthing women would be accompanied by their husbands. I guess I was wrong! I forget sometimes that not everyone lives in my bubble.

Something I'm struggling with is figuring out what to do for the quilt I plan to make for BabyPhinney. I have all the fabric and have spent hours combing pattern books, but nothing seems right (I'm terrible with patterns anyway). Usually when I make a quilt I can see a clear picture of what I want it to look like, and I'm able to sew it. This time my vision is completely blank; when I try to visualize it, I can't get a clear picture. I think part of me wants it to be perfect, and maybe because of that I'm afraid to cut the fabric? I think what I need to do is buy some graph paper and start working out some sketches of ideas and go from there.

This week we purchased our first big baby item! (Actually, my mom purchased it for us as a gift). The item is a portable crib that can be packed up for travel (mostly travel by car) and it will serve as BabyPhinney's bed in our room for the first few months. It came highly rated, was a good price, and it matches the decor in our house:
Oh, and one more thing...I still haven't told my annoying co-worker that I'm expecting. I realize that as I am beginning week 19 and am nearly halfway through my pregnancy...I should say something. But now I'm a little embarrassed this much time has passed, and I am not sure how to broach the topic. We sit in the same room, with our desks on opposing walls. I've gotten good at holding a file across my mid-section when walking around the room, or I wear my long cashmere scarf which helps hide the stomach area. I should say something, but every time the opportunity arises, I can't bring myself to tell her. I realize this is a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment