Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Are you kidding?!

For the past few days I've been seriously craving a frappuccino from Starbucks. I finally caved in today and went to get one...only to find out that they do not make decaf frappuccino's anymore. Boo... I ended up getting a decaf caramel macchiato instead. I'm sure that a caffeinated drink wouldn't be that terrible for BabyPhinney, but since I've been pretty much caffeine free the past 4+ months, it's probably best to continue to avoid it since my caffeine tolerance is way down. I also seem to recall from my days as a Starbucks barista that frappuccino's are extra caffeinated.

In reference ot my title, it stems from this rediculous board post from last night on the baby message board I frequent. This chick asked if it would be OK to write on her baby shower invites that she doesn't want baby clothes and to please stick to the items on her registry or buy her diapers.

Uh yeah... where is Emily Post when you need her?

First of all, chicka should not be sending out her own invitations. Who throws themself a baby shower? Isn't that a faux pas? I always assumed that the shower was hosted by a friend or family member of the mother-to-be. Second, it is extremely rude and tacky to tell people what to buy you as a gift. Registries are helpful in letting people know what you need, but there is a cetain level of tact and discretion that goes with letting people know where you are registered. In addition, some people just don't shop off of registries - myself included. I'll often check out wedding/baby registries, but I often end up trying to find something a little unique and personalized for the couple/baby. Finally, it is stupid to ask people to not buy baby clothes. People love to buy baby clothes. They are cheap, cute, and a fun thing to give someone. Buying diapers for people? Not so cute or fun.

I would personally just be grateful and thankful for any gifts people gave me, whether they were high on practical/need list or not. This whole debacle got me thinking about my own baby registry that I started two weeks ago (it takes awhile, reading through the pros/cons/reviews of various items is a lot of work!) I have been very conscientious of making sure that most of the items I put on there are reasonably priced. I have two things that are over $50 (a bouncy seat and a car seat) but only because I am pretty sure those are things that my parents plan on buying, and that way they'll know which ones we would like. If they don't buy them, that is fine too, because in registering for those items I'll get a discount later on when I buy them myself. I tried to make sure that most items I put in the registry are a reasonable price and somewhat fun things to buy (with exception to the diaper genie and bottle rack...those aren't very fun items to give. I fully anticipate buying them myself).

I'm excited for the shower my best friend is planning for me in the early summer, and I really hope to have a fun time celebrating the upcoming baby with many of my awesome female friends. With the economy the way it is, I really don't expect people to buy us much, and I certainly wouldn't turn down any cute baby outfits!

No comments:

Post a Comment