Saturday, June 4, 2011

What's mine is mine, and what's yours is mine.

The toddler mantra. I thought M2 was going to be a great sharer. Ha. Haha. Hahahahaha.

She's always been so sweet about bringing things to P5 that she knew belonged to him. Key words = things she knew belonged to him (his monkey, his stuffed dog, his giraffe, etc). He only has a few toys that from the beginning she has been told, "These are your brother's toys." When he would cry or sit in the swing, she would ever so gently place (well, OK, sometimes throw) his toys onto his lap. I thought it was so sweet.

Now that P5 is approaching the 6 month mark and is able to grasp things and loves having new things to hold onto, it's become a whole new ballgame. We have lots of toys. Like ridiculous amounts of toys in our house. I've been handing random objects to P5 so that he can explore them, but Miss M2 is always right there to show him whose boss. Sometimes she even gets a little violent by pushing him over while she extracts the toy from his hands. There have been many tantrums and tears the past week as I have worked on teaching M2 that she needs to share. I've been liberally giving P5 random toys to hang onto, but 9 times out of 10, M2 will rip the toy from his little hands and run off with it to hide somewhere. Sigh. It's going to be a process.

However, I can take solace in the fact that P5 is nearing the 20 lb marker, and since M2 is still a dainty 24 lbs, well, it's only a matter of time until the Darwinian survival of the fittest comes into play and the younger brother will become the larger brother able to fend for himself in the toy possession kingdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment