Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Totally Inappropriate People Part I.

Last night I was at the grocery store with M2, and my BFF buying some ice cream and cookie dough for our sleepover party (though let me say, M2 was a bit of a kill-joy choosing to wail and scream for 3 hours last night). We had a run in that reminded me of why I love doing the online grocery deliver service through Amazonfresh.com.

As we were waiting in line, a group of 3 guys came up and got in line behind us. The first guy did something that always irritates me; he set his groceries down and made a joke about having me pay for them since there was no stick to place between our items (I always roll my eyes when people do this). Then the guy noticed M2 in her car seat carrier and started commenting on how cute she is.

Then, without asking, buddy leans down and sticks him finger in M2's hand and starts playing with her fingers. Had he asked to touch her, I would've said no, but at that point the damage had been done. I politely stood there while inside restraining myself from bitch slapping his hand away from my child. The checker was being especially slow, and all I wanted to do was get the hell out of there. The only thing that helped me keep from losing my shit was being able to feel the Purell bottle in my purse.

The situation got worse. Next he asked me what her name was. When I told him it was Martha, he said, "Why would you do that? That's an old lady name!" Yeah, it's not like we're contemplating naming her that, it IS her name. How rude!

As soon as we were done paying for our groceries, I rushed her out to the car. I quickly got out the Purell and wiped her little hands down before she had a chance to put them in her mouth. With the whole swine flu scare, I'm not taking any chances!

Yeah, apparently not everyone got the memo that A) it's not cool to touch a stranger's baby, B) totally not cool to touch baby hands, C) criticizing someones name to their face is not nice.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, unfortunately Amazon Fresh is only within the city of Seattle. It is an awesome service, and I think they should expand elsewhere so other people can use them too!

    ReplyDelete