Facebook truly is a remarkable thing. It really does allow us to connect with other people, and keep up with so many people. For the most part I enjoy using FB, scrolling through the newsfeed on my phone a few times a day to see if anyone has posted anything funny, interesting, cute, etc.
But there are those moments where I go "ugh!" One thing I have found with FB is that sometimes there are people I tangentially know who I end up being FB friends with, and then over the course of months or years I realize that I really don't like that person based on their FB persona. Now granted, I don't think FB is "really" showing how most people are, but some people can be so obnoxious on FB. And since I am pregnant, hormonal and feeling crappy I'm going to take a minute to vent about it.
There is this gal I volunteered with at church last spring/summer. She was so sweet at our committee meetings, and then one day last July she requested me to be her friend. Since becoming her FB friend I realize she is not really my kind of person. She is a heavy user of FB so because of that I've gotten a good snapshot into her life. First of all, she obviously has a lot of money. She is always pointing out all the things they are buying, trips they are on, and stuff she has bought for her daughter. Her daughter owns about 10 American Girl dolls and all the accessories to go with. I don't have a problem with people having money - but I think flaunting wealth and spoiling children is not cool. Totally goes against my personal values.
I also dislike the drama queen types - the people who post "vague book" status updates or over-share really personal matters. I know some of these people are just fishing for attention. I don't mind when people put something funny/sarcastic on FB (like the other day I saw someone write that after the day they had they needed both a bottle of wine and a pint of ice cream - that was a humorous way to vent about a bad day).
The political posts - ugh, I really dislike these. One of my FB friends has a son who is "profoundly gifted" so she is constantly posting links to articles about gifted child issues and she constantly posts about nobody understands how challenging it is to have a child who is such an amazing genius. Maybe it's just me, but there is something kind of braggy about this that doesn't sit right with me. One time she posted an article that compared gifted child needs to autism spectrum child needs; as a parent of an ASD child I honestly found the article to be totally off base and almost offensive. Another one of my FB friends is a huge food bigot and constantly posts all these things about how GMO's are bad, meat is bad, Cheerios are the devil, with article links. Ugh! I honestly feel like food is a personal choice and I hate people throwing their opinions about it in my face.
Lastly, the other FB pet peeve of mine is play date photos. I'm part of a large mom's group and most of us are all FB friends with each other. There are certain people who are always posting pics of their kids with a few other peoples kids and commenting on how much fun they had hanging out. I do play dates with moms group friends, but a few of my friends and I have discussed this and said we will not post pics of this on FB because we don't want to make anyone feel bad or feel left out (obviously we can't all have a massive play date where we invite 30+ moms and kids over) but still, it's just one small thing. The only people I ever post pics of my kids with are cousins or our winery business partners kids because most of our friends know we are especially close with that family. Same goes for girls night outings - I hate when a group of 3-5 moms group friends tag themselves all out at a bar together having a fun time - it just makes you feel a little left out.
Anywho - that's my FB rant. Obviously I will still use it, but perhaps I should "block" some of these obnoxious people's posts from my feed so that I don't have to see it.
Oh - and T minus 5 hours until Mr.P returns home after being away 4 of the past 5 weeks!
No comments:
Post a Comment