Thursday, May 30, 2013

Crockpot Indian Food.

This morning I went to Costco and one of my usual things on my list is their organic skinless chicken breasts. Unfortunately our Costco was out, so I ended up buying some organic chicken thighs - something I never cook with. On my way home I was craving Indian food, so I decided to find an Indian recipe that called for chicken thighs. I hit the jackpot with this amazing recipe from Real Simple's website (I tweaked it a little bit based on ingredients I had on hand and the fact that I like to add extra spice to my dishes. Below is how I prepared it).

Mr. P, M2 and I* all ate every bite on our plates (and lucky me - there is a Tupperware in the fridge with leftovers for my lunch tomorrow!) This will definitely be going into our rotation of delicious easy meals.

Crock Pot Chicken Tikka Masala

Ingredients

  • 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes (I used diced tomatoes - make sure to drain the liquid)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped (I use pre-minced garlic from a jar since I'm lazy)
  • 2 tablespoons tomato paste
  • 1 tbsp garam masala (Indian spice blend)
  • 1/4 tsp chili powder
  • 1/4 tsp cumin
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 3/4 tsp pepper
  • 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
  • 1/2 cup almond milk (the recipe actually called for heavy cream, but I opted to make it dairy free)

Directions

  1. In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, onion, garlic, tomato paste, garam masala, salt, pepper, chili powder, cumin. Place the chicken on top, cover, and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (I had 6 hours to cook it so I did 2 hours on high, followed by 4 hours on low).
  2. Just before serving, stir the milk in and use a spatula to break the chicken into smaller pieces (it should fall apart quite easily).
  3. Serve over fresh cooked basmati rice and enjoy!

We sautéed some zucchini, onion and broccoli in a pan with olive oil on the side, it complimented this meal well.

*In case you're wondering what P5 ate, he had a PB&J sandwich with fruit and cheese. He is the pickiest kid ever! He won't eat rice, or pasta, or meat, or anything that looks strange (I'll put Indian food in the category of "looking" strange) so I decided that he could eat whatever he wanted since he's still recovering from surgery and I'm willing to feed him anything that will keep his caloric needs sustained.

2 comments: