Thursday, December 20, 2012

Opening new doors.

In less than 48 hours so much has happened - it's been a busy few days. I read through the Autism Speaks 100 Day Packet for newly diagnosed families and I've ordered a few books from Amazon. I got in touch with our family resource coordinator at the Birth to Three center we've been working with for speech. I got in touch with P5's speech therapist and pediatrician. We talked to our parents, siblings, close friends. I've cried. (A lot). But it's going to be OK. I just have to grieve the loss of the life I imagined and be optimistic about whatever the new future is for us. Just because it's going to be different doesn't mean it isn't going to be great.

Everyone has been amazingly kind, and more than once I have had people tell me how lucky P5 is to have me for his mom because I will be an awesome advocate for him. Our family resource coordinator was amazing and drove over to our house yesterday (while we were under quarantine with the little guy suffering stomach flu) to bring forms for me to sign to amend his IEP so that we can get him additional services ASAP.

For a 2 year old diagnosed on the spectrum, it is too soon to say where he falls - it often isn't until a child is closer to 4 that they can better determine where they fall. The good thing about being diagnosed early is that he will be able to begin therapy now and that can help a lot. I am so thankful for our great insurance. I am optimistic that he will likely end up being high functioning - his speech is improving, and he is quite affectionate towards me and his dad.

On a side note I just have to share this - one of my favorite hobbies is baking, so I was super excited when one of P5's newest words this week was "cupcake" (though it sounds more like "cuh cay" he is saying it in context while pointing to the cover of one of our family's current favorite books Cupcake: A Journey to Special).

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You hit the nail on the head with "grieve the loss of the life I mimagined and be optomistic about whatever the new future is for us".

    good luck with everything. P5 is lucky to have you as a mom and I'm just you will deal with new life amazingly.

    ReplyDelete